Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I AM still alive

I'm trying to put the final touches on WM and put it out to pasture. Someone a while back suggested that I show previews of the growth curves as represented with HP, MP, stat, and Exp gains. I was exploring that option yesterday when I came to a realization: I wrote HORRIBLE code to handle that. The entire time I was writing WM it was with the assumption that I was controlling everything from the main form and all code should reside there. This has been proven to be a terrible practice for legacy code handling and it just became a God Class. I have proven the folly in God Classes with what I'm now trying to do and, now to make a long story short, will have to completely re-write the whole stat indicator thing. This may mean it takes a LONG time to do as I am increasing losing time to devote to either WM or PrCMDI. It will get done one day. After that, it's xml-based labels and values and I'm done with it. I'll release it with the source and someone else can have a go at it if they want.

11 comments:

  1. Although I don't owe FF7 I much appreciate your work.
    With this being said I hope you won't feel offensed by the following words:

    in January(!) you wrote: "I mean, which would you rather have? A single 448K file with 80% of the source code in it or 28 organized files totaling 286K containing all the source in it?"

    (I really don't care. Just would like to have a look at it.)

    Now you're writing "I'm trying to put the final touches on WM and put it out to pasture."

    So I'd like to say: release it or release it not. But don't let people feel being fooled. (For me there are many interesting projects I'm more or less involved in. And atm I lost interest in WM source code.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A valid point I agree. This is taking much longer than I had hoped. It will come, but I won't use the word soon anymore. I'm finishing up this curve feature (which I broke) then xml-based texts and I'm done for sure.
      Thing is, it's bad business to release incomplete code. That is kind of like saying "I can't be bothered to fix what I broke, so if you want it then YOU fix it." which is unfair to the user.

      Delete
  2. This may be the wrong place to post this, but I am attempting to use proud clod to add some encounters to the game, but it cannot locate the scene.bin file anywhere. I have the steam version, and it is completely installed with no mods. Is this compatible with your program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I understand, it IS compatible. I'm not sure about the structure of the directories of the steam version, however. There are more details at www.qhimm.com.

      Delete
  3. @NFITC1

    i've created a animation idx list for WM, are you interested?
    regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and no. I'm interested because I've not created such a list myself, but not because it has limited use in WM. It would be good to have an accessible list of those for other reasons though. So, yeah, email me what you have, please.

      Delete
    2. i need your email ady.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. check your mailbox :)
      regards

      Delete
    5. hey nfitc1,
      reply me its really important!

      regards

      Delete